Baking is a lot like life; follow the directions, add a dash of spice, a pinch of zest, sprinkle with sugar and all is sweet in the end!

2.05.2011

Orange & Nutty Chocolatey Chocolate Cookies

Oops! I got so caught up in my emotions that I forgot the recipe for the cookies!!! Hahaha... bet you didn't think you were going to read a novel today, did you? Aw, c'mon... what else is there to do on a beautiful Saturday afternoon (just before you run out to get the ingredients for this recipe)?

As usual, I can't leave well enough alone and I used a recipe that i love named 'Chocolate Chunk Mountains' and tweaked it just a little... this recipe is from one of my favorite books called bigfatcookies by elinorklivans. I Love this book because you always get a giant handful of cookie!

3 oz. unsweetened chocolate, chopped
2 - 3/4 cups flour
2 teaspoons cream of tartar
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt ... only if using unsalted butter
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, or margarine, at room temperature
1/2 cup shortening
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup, packed brown sugar - to pack b. sugar, gently push down just until the sugar holds its shape
2 large eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla
1 teaspoon instant coffee granules, dissolved in 2 teaspoons water
1 cup mixed nuts, chopped
1 box Orange Sticks, chopped ... about 40 - 50 sticks

1. Preheat oven to 350* and line cookie sheets with parchment paper.
2. Chop unsweetened chocolate in a bowl and melt in the microwave. Then chop the Orange Sticks into chunks. Then chop the Mixed Nuts. Set each aside.
3. Sift the flour, cream of tartar, baking soda and salt in a bowl. Set aside.
4. Cream butter, shortening, sugar and brown sugar until blended and light and fluffy. Stop and scrape down sides (always important). Mix in melted chocolate. Mix in the eggs, vanilla and dissolved coffee (here is where I would add Triple Sec Liquer instead of coffee, but I found I had none... hmm.. must have drank it and not remembered.) (I see a pattern here with the alcohol! GASP!!) until smoothly blended. Add the flour mixture just until incorporated. Stir in the chopped Orange Sticks and Mixed Nuts.
5. I use a 1/2 cup ice cream scoop because i like them Amazon size, but you can drop any size you want. Just make sure you space them apart because they will spread. 1/2 cup will spread to about 4 - 5 inches. WOW!! That's a bigfatcookie!
6. I went an extra step and added more Mixed nuts & Orange Stick chunks on top. Flatten your cookie a smidge so that you will get a more even cookie when it spreads out. It kind of directs it where to go.
7. Bake (1/2 cup size) for 20 minutes or until the cookie no longer looks shiny. Quite dull.
8. Leave on the cookie sheet for about 5 - 10 minutes and then move to a rack. These are quite thick so they need the extra air all around them to finish drying out in the middle.

I'm sorry, I didn't have more pics of the process. I guess I got excited about wrapping them that I forgot to take a pic of them to show you. They were HUGE!! ... believe me! The pic you do see... is of the raw dough, (only 5 fit on a 14 inch sheet) which you should never eat, but have I got a wonderful recipe for you if you LOVE cookie dough! Check out http://marleys-place.com/. She's a funny young lady that enjoys what she does and inspired me to start my own blog She has Great recipes! Check it out! ; ) .... feel free to ask questions, because I'm sure I left stuff out... my mind is not in the all-together today. I'd be happy to hear from you! ~Happy Baking...... & Don't forget your Apron!





1 comment:

  1. Holy cannoli! These sound so amazing, how can you go wrong with 1/2 cup of cookie dough? You just can't. I will most deffinately be making these soon! Thanks for referencing my blog, I'm honored :D live,love, laugh, bake, save the whales <3

    ReplyDelete