Baking is a lot like life; follow the directions, add a dash of spice, a pinch of zest, sprinkle with sugar and all is sweet in the end!

7.28.2011

INSPIRATION!!

I admit it! I have been playing it SAFE! You know that place you arrive at and have no idea how or when you got there? One day, you just open your eyes and realize everything around you is so not where you wanted or ever intended to be ... it's quiet and warm .... no ripples, no struggles, no surprises .... just peaceful floating along wherever the current takes you! and if you hold your breath long enough ... noone notices you have not moved, talked, thought or acted upon anything exciting or worthwhile. Or so you think! Then someone says or you see something that jolts you out of your automatic pilot so-called life!  Although, this could apply to every day life ... I am also talking about Passions! I talk alot about Inspiration! You know.... it's that little something that whispers in your ear *you can do it!* *you're Great!* It doesn't mean you have to be the Best but you know it's something you do well and when you do it .... IT makes you feel Good! Now, you HAVE to be thinking of what Inspires You, right?

In it's many forms ... Inspiration could be that SOMEONE that nudges you with a kind word, a tender smile or even an admiring look telling you they believe in you! Inspiration could be that SOUND you hear that sends a shiver down your spine that starts from the top of your head and moves down in a warm fuzzy that envelopes you in comfort and confidence! Inspiration could be that SOMETHING that you see that exhilerates you from deep down in a place that you almost forgot existed! Something that excites your creative juices and says, "YES!! That's It!!!"

I realize how this sounds (a little Crazy, a little Risque) and you might be surprised when I tell you that in the span of one week (last week) ... all of those things happened to me!!

I can't wait to tell you the story, and I will, in detail and in a 3 maybe 4 part version. I hope you stay tuned for every recipe that goes with each part. Did I ever tell you I also like the word .... Anticipation?? ........ anyway ..........

I think I told you about a cookie that has been dancing in my head for a while now. I have started experimenting with it. As my Dad used to say, "The operation was a success ... but the patient died!" For years I wondered what that meant. This is a good example of that. The cookie tasted Great, but the cookie as a whole, was a disaster! It's a work in progress!

                ROCSalted Cookies

{Raisin Oatmeal Caramel Salted Cookies}
  • 2 cups flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 2 sticks margarine, melted
  • 1- 1/2 cups dark brown sugar, firmly packed
  • 2 large eggs
  • 2 teaspoons Vanilla
  • 3 cups oatmeal (not instant)
  • 1- 1/2 cups raisins
  • 1/4 cup corn syrup
  • 1 bag of wrapped caramel candies, cut in quarters
  • course sea salt
Prep: Preheat oven to 350*. For chewy raisins, skip this step. I like plump raisins so I soak them in warm liquid for about a 30 minutes. For really good raisins, soak them in Brandy overnight. ; )

Note: all ingredients should be room temperature for best results.

Whisk the flour, baking soda, baking powder & salt (not sea salt). Set aside. Cream margarine, & sugar until light and fluffy. Add vanilla and beat in eggs (one at a time). Stir in oats & raisins. This will be dry so stir in the corn syrup. The mix will be shiny.  Drop 2 Tablespoons into a ball. Push about 5 pieces of caramel into the tops of each cookie, brush with corn syrup, then sprinkle with sea salt. The corn syrup adds a sticky surface so the salt will stick. Bake for 13 minutes or until the edges are slightly browned.

Thick & Dry!
Baked in Balls!

Here, I think, is where it went wrong. The oats soaked up the fats. I prefer a chewy cookie that spreads and this came out in a ball if it was not flattened by hand.
The caramel didn't hold up in the heat and oozed over the top. I'll work on that, but the aroma and flavor of the cookie itself was Great! If you'd like to try it ... i'd suggest cutting the oats down to 1-1/2 cups and 1-1/2 cups flour.
Brush with corn syrup...
...oozed over top!
 Good Luck and let me know how you do. Stay tuned for a revised version of this cookie! To be continued........





Happy Baking! ...... & don't forget your Apron!

1 comment:

  1. YUMMM! Caramel, oats, salt, and raisins?! This cookie sounds too good to be true! Good luck with your experimenting!

    ReplyDelete