Baking is a lot like life; follow the directions, add a dash of spice, a pinch of zest, sprinkle with sugar and all is sweet in the end!

8.18.2011

Music to My Ears!!

What's that SOUND?? .... ahhh, it's a compliment! Compliments are a funny thing... they are hard to take (for me, anyway) but, they are so easy to give (when given sincerely, that is). A few kind words can be infectious with warm fuzzies .... you know that feeling ... it starts at the top of your head, tingles the tips of your ears, hugs you around your shoulders, sends shivers down your spine, swirls down your wobbly legs & shoots out the ends of your toes! The amazing part is .... that's what happens when you receive one ... & ... also when you give one! Ya .... go ahead! ... Try it! I have to warn you, though, it may be addictive! When I'm trying to keep the Gloomies at bay, (which happens more often than not) I smile and say something nice to someone. And I mean it. Sometimes I even say it to myself, because let's face it, if we don't believe it .... then we're not going to feel it! So, get out there and SMILE!

Ok, so... in continuing with my saga ... I had my doubts as to whether my Inspiration would last. I mean, how much more could I ask for than to know that , at least, I had one fan out there! My Uncle brought warm fuzzies to my heart! Who knew I'd get more so soon?

I was feeling a little sluggish from all the food and goodies over that weekend, so I went out on my evening walk, (which in itself is a real mood lifter!) In my first mile, if I take my usual route, I pass by said Uncle's house. Sometimes I'm lucky & he is outside puttering in the yard ... but not that night, so I decided to stop and take a small break! He had retired to his room, but my Aunt was up and talkative, so I chatted. As I got up to leave, she said, "Oh, Becky! I've been meaning to call you ... that Lemon Berry cake you made the other day was so Delicious!! Now, tell me, how exactly did you make it?" If you know my Aunt, you can totally hear her say this ... if not, you should know that she has no intention of baking this cake! She just likes to know how you do it. I smiled, thanked her & sat back down. She then went through every step I had taken in my kitchen the other day. As I smiled & nodded my head at her as she recited it, I kept thinking to myself ... "Wow! Not only was my Uncle watching me, but she was, too!" Now, I'm not so deep as to think like this all the time. Most times I, too, miss the meanings of things, but every once in a while (if we're lucky) we pull our heads out of the sand long enough to notice that, Yes, somebody does see us. I hugged her & went on my way. By my 4th mile, I realized I was still smiling and that more people than usual answered my greetings as we passed. See?? .... Infectious!!

Ok ... I'm not a Sweet Freak (which is odd for a baker, isn't it?), but I can't resist chewy,  fudgy Brownies nor thick, creamy Cheesecake! The two of them together? Well, let's just say, I should eat one and give the rest away! C'mon! You know better than that! I've been walking twice a day just to ease my guilt! The first bite makes your eyes roll into the back of your head and Awesome just didn't quite describe them. I couldn't figure out what to call them and then I remembered a conversation about words that should never go out of style.  So, in an effort to bring back, at least one of those words, I call them .....

BITCHIN' BROWNIES! 

Brownie
1 bag or box of brownie mix
1 egg
1/3 cup oil

Cheesecake
1- 8oz pkg of cream cheese
1/4 cup powdered sugar
1 egg
1/4 cup of condensed milk
1/4 cup Heavy Whipping Cream (optional to make it creamier ... aww ... go 'hed! Put it in!)

Topping
1/2 cup chocolate chips
1/2 cup crushed Butterfinger candy bar. (I used the 8 pk. mini bars)

I just heard you GASP!! Did I say this was a HEALTHY recipe?? I don't think so! If you want "Good for you" stuff, I can recommend a few other delicious blogs if you'd like. ; ) However, this is packed with protein ... lol... that's how I justify it, anyway!

First, cream the cream cheese and sugar. Mix in egg. Mix in milk and cream. It should all be blended and creamy.

Next, in another bowl, whisk brownie mix, egg and oil. This is one time, with a brownie mix that you want it all incorporated with no lumps. About 50 strokes should do it.  No whisk? use a wooden spoon, but mix a little longer and make sure there are no lumps.

Then, (oops! forgot to tell you to preheat oven to 350* & spray/grease an 8 inch square pan! This should always be done first. At least, after you read the recipe) (You do read the recipes first, right?) pour brownie mix into prepared pan. An 8 inch square pan will make the perfect thickness for this brownie. Pour the cream cheese mix evenly over brownie. Swirl lightly with a knife to mix brownie with cheesecake, just a little. Bake for a really long time! Seriously, if you want these in a hurry ... forget it! Patience is the key! Bake, at least, 40 minutes. That's when you do the first check. The top should be golden, puffy and jiggly only in a quarter-size circle in the center. ** LIGHT BULB!!** (I just got a Great idea for a blog! The different stages of  Cheesecake! .... Soon! I promise.) When all criteria for doneness has been reached, remove from oven and sprinkle chocolate chips over top. Return to oven for 10 minutes to melt those chips. Remove again and spread chocolate over top, careful not to tear the cheesecake. Then, sprinkle crumbled Butterfingers over the top of chocolate. Let cool for an hour then cover it in foil and place it in the fridge overnight or for, at least, 5 hours. I said "PATIENCE!" .... so worth it!

I see a pattern here! When I am really excited about something & can't wait to dig in .... I forget about taking pictures! I only took 2 ... but they are good ones! Aren't they?? 



Happy Baking ........... & Don't forget your Apron!




2 comments:

  1. <3 Becky, you are so infectious in all you do!! I thoroughly enjoy each one of your posts, your corny jokes, and your innocent look at things.. I think you are treasured more then you will ever know!!

    Thank you for warming my heart and bringing joy to my day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These sound to good to be true!! I am so going to have to try these! And hey, who says desserts have to be healthy? It's dessert!

    ReplyDelete