Baking is a lot like life; follow the directions, add a dash of spice, a pinch of zest, sprinkle with sugar and all is sweet in the end!

1.30.2011

Octagon Unleashed!!


Octagonunleashed.com
 Are you a fan of MMA (Mixed Martial Arts)? Do you like UFC? Are you an avid watcher of Strikeforce? .... I'm probably going to get in trouble for saying this, but ..... I'm not! However, my nephew, Robert, is and I am a Big fan of his work! Awww... yeah, I know! You're probably wondering 'What does that have to do with baking?' Well ...I'm getting to that. Robert is a board operator for Angels Radio and also happens to be an aspiring on-air talent! In fact, he just landed a talk show (along with Jeremy, Allison & Meredith) on am830 KLAA called Octagon Unleashed and what a coincidence ... the very first show is tonight! (Quoting their webpage) Octagon Unleashed is a new MMA Show that is gonna feature on Angels Radio AM830, Sundays at 9p.m. pacific, on Jan. 30th. Discuss MMA world of UFC, Strikeforce, and all local up and coming fighters, local gyms to get training & more...

 Believe me, I could not put that string of words together on my own, if I tried! So, baking? Earlier this week, I was taking a na... I mean resting my eyes... and this little figure popped into my head! I do that sometimes, I dream about cakes and stuff... weird, I know. Anyway, the details were so clear and since I am such a Dork, I thought it would be neat if I made them as cookie favors for Octagon unleashed! Like, my nephew is still in elementary school, when in fact he is a mere 8 years younger than I. A full growed adult! haha... I made them anyway.

So, there I was... digging through scraps of paper, looking for the perfect Sugar Cookie recipe ... when I remembered I had it written down on Facebook! YAY! ... *papers back in the drawer.* I can't tell you where I got the recipe because I've had it for so long that I forgot. It's not my recipe, but I did modify it a bit. After I  mixed the dough and put it in the fridge to chill ... I looked for my gingerbread cookie cutter. Do you remember I said I was not organized? That goes for my cookie cutters, too! They are in a huge basket that I have had for a hundred years and every time I need one, I sit on the floor and dig through them... Ghaaa! There's got to be an easier way!

About 100 cookie cutters!

I was reading this Great blog (I can't find it, but i'll let ya know when I do) and it was all about washing cookie cutters. Hey! This is a Great time to do that! As if baking cookies weren't enough! So I started washing cookie cutters while I was mixing, cutting and baking Sugar cookies! I must have taken a Super Vitamin, because my energy didn't end. I thought it was crazy, but the idea is to wash them then put them on a cookie sheet and stick them in the oven! Yeah... in the oven! 5 minutes later ... Ta-Da! They're Dry! Metal cookie cutters have to be dried after washing because they will rust. I wish I had known this before.... I have had many cookie cutter funerals ... don't worry, I don't throw them away... I just don't use them anymore. 

Don't touch the cookie cutters right away. They're metal. HOT! Don't ask how I know, just don't do it!! Ok...   They're washed and dried ... what now?? Back into the basket? No Way! I, finally, found a use for those cute, coloful boxes that I got at the Dollar Tree and have had for months. I like to pick up things that I can use One Day ... especially if they are COLORFUL! ... and they were only $1, so why not get a few of them?? That's MY thinking, anyway! I got them all sorted into categories and they fit perfectly .... I just wish I had remembered the Giant Drawer-ful in the back room! EEGADS!! .... another day....

Back to the Cookies!! I always bake extra... just in case! Here are 2 to practice on. I had 4 but 2 disappeared ... hmmm... wonder where they went. Don't put your cup of ice water next to your cookies! This cookie turned to MUSH and his leg broke as I picked him up! ... had to eat him. haha...what do you think a cookie funeral is? Some of the Pecs & Abs look like Man Boobs & Rolls, but I did my best without a model to work from! teehee! Seriously, I was relieved that this project went smoothly. There will be others that won't. Robert loved them ... until he realized he had to share them with others and, of  course, just like a man .... didn't see the details until he ate half the cookie! 8 /

So, if you watch MMA, Strikeforce or other ... ah, who am I kidding? I can't pretend to know what I'm talking about! I do urge you to listen, though, because I may not know much about that fighting stuff, but my nephew is Dang Entertaining & he only works with the BEST! Look them up on Facebook & Don't forget to tune in tonight on live streaming at AM830.net. ~ Happy Baking .... & don't forget your Apron!


PERFECT, SIMPLE SUGAR COOKIES
 
3 cups flour ~ add a little more if dough is sticky.      
1/2 cup corn starch
1 teaspoon salt                                                        
3/4 cup butter/margarine (1-1/2 sticks) room temp.
1/2 cup shortening                                                    
1 cup sugar
1 large egg                                                                
2 teaspoons vanilla
1/2 teaspoon almond extract (optional)

Whisk flour, starch & salt together. Set aside. Cream butter, shortening & sugar until light and creamy. about 5 minutes. Add rest of ingredients and mix for 1 minute. Add flour to wet mixture 1 cup at a time until incorporated. Divide dough in half, wrap and refrigerate for at least 1 hour. Preheat oven to 350*. Dust counter with flour and roll dough out to 1/4 inch thick. Cut dough with shapes and place on a cookie sheet covered with parchment paper. Bake 10 to 15 minutes, depending on size of cookie. Smaller starts with less time. 

ROYAL ICING

4 cups powdered sugar                                            
3 Tablespoons meringue powder
6+ Tablespoons of cold water (start with 6 & add more if needed).

Whip on High speed for 8 minutes, non-stop until you pull it up and icing form stiff peaks. Thin icing as used. Keep unused icing covered. To thin, add mere drops of water until desired consistency. Ice cookie as you see it. If this sounds complicated, it's not really. Just time consuming. I will break this down at a later date because it really is fun and I wouldn't want you to miss it! But, right now I've gone on Long Enough.... if you're even still here ...

5 comments:

  1. OOPS!! The recipes came out a little askew... but still readable! I'll be more careful next time! ;D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it! OMG I don't think I've ever seen so many cookie cutters! Your such a great aunt and friend to Robert and I'm positive he appreciates the cookies. You're a great cheerleader and I want to know if his other cheerleaders get cookies too????

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so proud of you, making use of the boxes from one of my favorite places to shop to organize your tools of the trade! Perhaps, next time, one of the MMA fighters could agree to make an appearance in your kitchen so that your cookie embellishments are more accurate ;) ;)What a sweet thing for you to do. Robert is to you like you are to me...you will always be my little cousin even though your only like 3-5 years younger than me. Love you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your cookies are gorgeous! They look so proffesional and cute. I'd say they're too cute to eat, but I would be joking, because they're cookies, and look delicious at that! Happy food dreaming (I do it all the time :D).

    ReplyDelete