Baking is a lot like life; follow the directions, add a dash of spice, a pinch of zest, sprinkle with sugar and all is sweet in the end!

1.15.2011

WILD CHERRY CUPCAKES

                                                                      
Happy Birthday, Pidgeon! ; )

Last week, I made plans to have coffee with my friend to catch up. Right away visions started swirling, in my one-track mind, of what I was going to bake to have with our delicious, gourmet coffees. The place we go offers a nice variety, but I was in the mood for something different. My friend is sort of a Health Nut and keeps suggesting (begging) me to make some tasty protein bars. With the very best of intentions, I assure you, I went to the store to get inspired. This was the day I was going to impress her!

Todays List
I can't tell you what happens to me when I get into a grocery store, but, my mind goes blank! Even though I have my ever faithful notepad in hand, with the basics listed, I almost NEVER follow it! I came out with a box of white cake mix & a bottle of Wild Cherry Boones Farm wine. Sorry, Friend! ....  Maybe next time.
I know you are saying to yourself, "What The... ??" Did I mention that when baking ... add in whatever sounds good? Well, I don't know about you, but I had a hard time passing that bottle of wine ... I mean, it's WILD CHERRY, for Gosh Sake's!! So, now  you're wondering ... How does that work?? I see the directions on the back of the box as suggestions. It says water, but isn't that liquid? So if you substitute wine for water, who's gonna know? The cake mix doesn't know you're pulling a fast one on it ... so Do It! Actually, you can substitute any liquid ... things like, soda, juice, alcohol (WooHoo!!), that's always fun! Let your imagination go wild!!  We'll talk about switching the other ingredients another time. Boy are you in for a Surprise!
                                                                          
 So, I get home and my friend texts to ask if I want to throw in a HIKE!! Isn't it funny how HIKES rhymes with YIKES!?! lol... I would rather walk to Timbuktu and back than go on a hike ... and she knows this, but she promised it will be an easy one. I text her, a very skeptical yes ... and immediately, all guilt for making something very unhealthy for our snack, flies right out of my head! I figured we were even .... right??  Of course, we are .... Who's side are you on, anyway?? 
Ok, back to the cake >> I always get all the ingredients out at once because I will end up walking as far as Timbuktu, all over my kitchen, if I get them when needed. I empty the mix into Sweetie (my mixer), pour in a packet of vanilla instant pudding, crack the eggs into a bowl (noone likes to bite into an eggshell, Believe Me!!) OMGOSH!! I didn't have oil! Grrr. I look around the kitchen for something ... there's no mayonnaise, either! Yes, I said mayonnaise! (another story). Luckily, in the fridge, I had applesauce. It creates Fantastic moisture!  Finally, I measure out the alotted liquid (in this case, Wild Cherry Wine! 8D).  Here's the important part; for Adults only, make sure to pour an extra cup in case you need to add more! I say pour into a cup because ... C'mon!! That bottle is sitting right next to you on the counter, daring you to take a swig out of it! You won't be able to resist it! Believe Me!! To give Boone's Farm it's proper dues .... it has to be straight out the bottle! Am I right??

As you can see, the extra wine was needed. I felt the batter was too thick. So I added a little more wine. Then, a little more ... then, a little more. I used the x-large muffin pan because you're gonna have 2 anyway, right? So why not just have a really Big one! That way, you can say *through a mouthful* "I only had ONE!!" I have never had such perfect cupcakes and I'll be darned if I know how I did it, but, I filled the muffin cup almost to the top. I'd say 4/5ths full and they rose perfectly! The Baking Angels must have been smiling down on me.
The frosting on top is cream cheese, whipped to light and fluffy ~ then whipped cream folded in. Now, to me, the best part of all of it is the Presentation! You're just going to Love what you're eating if it looks pretty, too! At least, I do. I had some pretty sprinkles and, of course, a chocolate covered cherry on top, which you can get at any grocery store in the candy section. 

You're wondering about the hike, aren't you?! Well, Yes, she did take it easy on me... a very flat, peaceful nature walk. I Loved it! Especially because there were no sides of a hill to climb. At the coffee shop, as usual, the company was fantastic but, I felt a little bad about her dogs because they sat at my feet just waiting for me to drop something. Poor things... not a crumb! Two very nice women stopped to say hi to the dogs and I gave them the extra cupcake I had... one asked for my card (next on my list) but I gave her my number instead. Later that evening, I got a call from a complete stranger telling me "...that cupcake was amazing!" (lol... I'm paraphrasing, because I didn't write down exactly what she said), but the sentiment was the same. Thank You, Monique, for the wonderful call and compliment! You have no idea what that did for me ... I still smile when I think about it!" So, I urge you to try this... it's quick, simple & delicious!  ~Happy Baking ... & don't forget your Apron!

7 comments:

  1. Hi, Becky. For the cake mix, any cake mix flavor or white? For the whipped cream, cool whip or real whipped cream and is real whipped cream available in a tub? Also, if I were to incorporate dried cherries in to this how would I do that? Love the flow of the episode and the pics!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, mama! I used white because it allows the flavor of the wine to shine through. Although, you can use any flavor cake mix. Real whipped cream would be good, but is tempermental. I use Cool Whip or generic Whipped Cream. I haven't found REAL whipped cream in a tub, so far. ;) You can add dried cherries after you mix it all. Just fold them in. Try shaking them up in a little flour, that way, they will stay suspended and not sink to the bottom! Let me know how it works for you! Good Luck and thanks for the compliment! <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Cookie , wow as much as I'm sure these cupcakes are d-lishshsh hick-up !! lol I have to comment on your writting . As usual you are very funny , but your playful descriptions keep me smiling through the whole recipe . You know I love the way you write . Thanks for the b-day wish , wonder where you got that cup and saucer hmmmm . Well its beautiful . Have a great day
    Tanks again
    P.V.M.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Before the content on your blog even loaded I was smiling! The colors,the patterns, and then I saw the photos, and I was hooked. I absolutely had to read this post! Your cupcakes look fantastic, I can't wait to try something like it (minus the extra wine :P). Your writing style is really fun to read, I felt like I was in the kitchen laughing with you! Keep on bloggin and bakin!
    A blogger, baker, jewelry maker

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great job!!! I want to run out and buy a bottle of boones right now!! Too bad the screen doesn't have scratch and sniff because your cupcakes look amazing!!! Now get on those business cards, because you will have a line of people waiting for your treats pretty lady!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Boones Farms..?.. I am not gonna knock it cause I am sure no matter what it came out delish.. I cant wait to try them.. Oh wait again I got shafted from your baking experiments lol... Good job on the blog it is awesome and as much as I hate to read, I sure do love reading these.. keep them coming..

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOL! You guys are Great! Thanks, Paul, I'm glad you like it! Tea cup? that old thing? hehe... Jeanine, Scratch & Sniff would be awesome wouldn't it? XD .....Robert, You're the BEST Nephew, EVER! and I'm not just saying that because you're the only one who follows my blog! <3 lol... And Thanks so MUCH, Marley! That means alot coming from an experienced and Wonderful Blogger Baker Jewelery maker like YOU! ; )

    ReplyDelete